How to Get Rid of Chiggers
Do you know How to Get Rid of Chiggers? Chiggers are small, red bugs mostly found on tip of grasses. Chiggers affect warm covered bodies and bites are often found clustered behind knees or tight undergarments. Some exceptional cases have been found in the eye causing conjunctivitis. Protection from chiggers is necessary but prevention is better to avoid getting bites or allergens from chiggers. So, how to prevent chiggers from breeding into your yard and get a bite off you? Keep reading to learn How to Get Rid of Chiggers.
Recognize the Chigger habitat
Chiggers usually thrive late in summer, in dry tall grasses and thick vegetation. To avoid being bitten by chiggers, people should wear long pants and socks or boots. Anything that would cover the skin is necessary so as not to make you a chigger host.
Natural Way of Removing Chiggers
- If you have a lawn yard, regular mowing and pulling of weeds are simple and yet effective in getting rid of chiggers. Prune trees, bushes, and shrubs to allow more sunlight to go through and discourage chiggers to live in.
- Flood the remaining grass, bushes, and shrubs in a mixture of soap and water to kill them off. Do it every week for a month.
- Small mammals, such as mice, hamster, rabbits, guinea pig, cats, and small dogs; reptiles and amphibians are favourite hosts of chiggers. If you have some of these as pets in your house, do not allow them to hang around your garden or yard, so as to discourage chiggers living in your yard. Remove water or source of water and dense bushes from your yard that will invite reptiles and amphibians.
- Prepare a natural, organic pesticide to ward off chiggers. Diatomaceous earth, made from soft sedimentary rock can be sprinkled into your yard.
- Sulfur powder drives away chiggers due to its potent smell. Sprinkling some in your shoes and socks drives them away.
- Household vinegar can also be a personal protection from chiggers by applying it to feet, legs, and midsection part of the body.
- Spraying of DEET (diethyltoluamide) into your skin is one of the most effective insect repellent that can be use against chiggers. Before going on for a walk in tall grasses and shrubs, apply DEET that can last for two to three hours. Just be careful to follow the instruction when spraying or applying.
- Permethrin repellents can only be applied in clothes against chiggers to stick into your clothes. Permethrin last for several days, even after second washing. Just follow the instruction in applying Permethrin repellents.
- If chiggers have reached your houseplants, take it outside and soak in a mild insecticidal soap with safety label for houseplants or edible plants. Do it weekly for a month.
- Apply or spray insecticide on hotspot areas with weeds and tall grasses with the following contents: bifenthrin, cyfluthrin, esfenvalerate, chlorpyrifos, diazinonbifenthrin, carbaryl, and cyhalothrin.
For extreme infestation, call a pest control professional. They are licensed and trained to use strong chemical formulation. Just be sure to find the authentic company or person so as not to jeopardize your family’s health and safety. Now you know How to Get Rid of Chiggers.