How to Get Rid of a Raccoon
Raccoons are one of the high recognizable animal that you would not want to start walking around the house and giving you some problems to handle. Even though they are not harmful, they tend to make things that would surely give you headache. With that, you would like to know the different things that you can do keep them away from your home and have the peace of mind that you need.
There are a number of ways being considered by many on how to get rid of a raccoon and it is best for you to get started in knowing and familiarizing yourself about it. After all, this could be the best investment that you can do to have enough idea on the things you have to do in solving the current issue that you have with the raccoons. Keep reading to learn How to Get Rid of a Raccoon.
Cleaning Up the House and the Whole Yard
One of the basic things that you can do to avoid raccoons in the house is for you to clean up and remove the things that would usually attract them to go in there. Most of the raccoons are being attracted by garbage just like some dogs and cats that are left in the street so you have to get started with those.
You have to check the areas around your home where you are leaving paper, garbage, food and even if there are berries from the tree. Make sure that you will clean the whole area and would do a double checking afterwards. That would help you to be assured that they would not have some things to visit in your house and you can proceed doing some of your other tasks.
However, there are more things that you can do to become successful in getting rid of the raccoons and making sure that the house is already sparkling clean. Some of those are the following below:
- You can consider purchasing metal garbage cans that comes with a lid that would stay attached and tight on the body of the can.
- You can place some heavy materials on the lids of the trash cans where you typically put your garbage and food.
Most of the time, the cans would have some smell that could attract the raccoons especially if there are some foods that was thrown on it. It would be ideal for you to make sure that you will wash your trash cans more often with the use of the hose to make sure that it would not keep the smell that could attract raccoons in your area. For better idea on this, make sure to consider the following things below:
- You have to tip the trash cans upside down so that there would be no water that would be stored on it for the raccoons to drink. Also, you would not want for mosquitoes to also have a place to develop near your house.
- You have to put your garbage inside the cans and would put the lids on it tightly as you would not want the smell of it to reach the nose of the raccoons that are staying close to your house.
- If you are using some picnic chairs and tables outside the house, make sure to avoid forgetting to clean up the foods that you have in there before you sleep at night.
- If you are going to have a trip and would be gone for longer period of time, it is best for you to keep the trash cans inside the house or in the garage as you would not want to see the mess that the raccoons would leave to you when you get back later on.
- If there are some very tempting foods in the trash like meats, it would be ideal if you will double up the plastic bag of it before you throw it away on your trash cans. You can also consider putting strong cleansers on the bag before you put it in the cans.
However, even if the area is already clean, this could still provide something that the raccoons would need and that is shelter. The raccoons, with families or by themselves, they would tend to have their nests close to one another. It is important for you to check your house more often and see if they have eventually make use of your attic as their sheltered home.
If you have found out that the raccoons are already living inside your house, there are some things that you can do to make the area inhospitable for them and those are the following below:
- You can have some radio that would create too much noise. Raccoons hate that kind of thing and they would not leave in place where there is so much noise.
- You can place bright lights that would not help them to take a rest.
- You can also put some ammonia scented kind of rugs to make the raccoons insecure and avoid the area where they are currently staying it.
Things to remember
Make sure that you will not confront the raccoons on your own especially if it is the mother and there are some little ones. They could be harmful if they want to be and it is best to at least care for them a little and don’t even think of killing them. You have to know that killing raccoons is prohibited in many states even though they are causing problems in your house. That is why you only need to consider the things that you can do and try your best to get rid of them without any means of hurting or killing them.
If all the mentioned tips and things above did not help you to get rid of the raccoons in the house or in your yard, it would be ideal for you to simply consider asking for the help of the professionals in your area. There are certain people who are experts in knowing how to get rid of a raccoon. Now you know How to Get Rid of a Raccoon.